Monday 2 January 2012

Lost in Translation- Japan

After a long fidgety flight from LAX to Tokyo- I finally arrived at Haneda airport for my 1 day Japan layover. In doing my research a bit before hand I knew that this airport was the closer of the 2 in Tokyo, and that the transit system shuts after a certain time, which meant I needed to
get my bags quick (since they were not checked through to my final destination) and find my way to the train to get to Atsuri- the suburb of Tokyo where i would be couch surfing. I arrived and was ready to purchase my fare by 11 pm. I was safe- or so I thought. This was just the beginning of my adventure in Japan.


Most Everyone knows that I do not speak Japanese and,aside from the 3 phrases I already know asking for money and food- I even forgot the words for thank you, hello and good bye. I walk up to the ticketing area for the ever so efficient Tokyo public transport- I DO NOT READ JAPANESE either and everything is in Japanese characters... Lucky for me there was a lady there that spoke some spotty English and helped me out. I make it on the train en route to Atsuri and I have 3 train changes to get to my destination with an anticipated 82 minute commute. I'm following along making sure I do not miss any of my stops, but before I know it I am well past my first transfer- crap! I ask a guy on the train if I have indeed gone wrong and his English is not good either. I then remember that I downloaded an app on my phone that has some key phrases and translates them for you.... I find a few things that get my point across and I discover that I need to go back. BUT, remember the trains close down.... Yup! I go one stop to the middle of nowhere and before I know it I am standing in a taxi line trying to explain my situation and deciding if I should still go couch surf, or look for another accommodation option, including going to airport and sleeping there for a bit. Mind you it was about 35 degrees outside and the majority of the clothes i brought is for Thai weather: 95 degrees!! back to the taxi line: Most of the taxi drivers did not know what I was asking and my app didn't have the right phrases. I was in a rut.



Then a young couple walk up and they speak "a little" English. I share my situation and they start brain storming where I might be able to stay: a restaurant that has beds, a karaoke bar that has beds or Hotel Nice. I didn't want to spend a crap load- but I also wanted to get somewhere. They call the hotel and voila they have space. We flag a cab down, they tell him where to go for me and I realize that I spent most of the yen I withdrew on my first train ticket.... DOH! I hop on the cab anyway- in hopes that the nice man would let me slide or we would go by an ATM. Once I see the meter at nearly 4x the amount of yen I had- I asked him to pull over at the next ATM- safe!

We arrive at Hotel Nice and the cabbie Walks me in to "share my story" and check me in- nice old man. I now have a room in what looks like a lonely hotel in a residential area (which surprisingly reminded me Of some places in London- maybe because of the wrong side of the road driving?). The woman at the front would not even pull the blind up far enough for me to see her face when I paid- strange. I make my way up to room and I'm greeted by slippers at the first door, a comforter that has "nice" stitched into it, karaoke in the room with a 5" binder full of songs (all in Japanese), and condoms w lube on the night stand. Huh???!! It then clicked- I was staying at hotel "for a good time come here for one night"- fortunately it smelled and looked clean, after a thorough inspection of the room. At that point it was time for bed, I could not be bothered anymore.




I awakened to discomfort and not being able to breathe well- it smelled as if someone was blowing cigarette smoke into my face. It was only 3am. This happened at least 3 more times when finally at 645am I opened the window to let in some fresh, COLD air from outside and got up to start my day- and really, so I can vacate the room as soon as I was able. I was not sure where exactly I was but my iPhone did. I unlocked the power to search the Internet while roaming and mapped out my day. It included a visit through the sights, food and shopping of the Ueno neighborhood. I found some red bean curd pastries (which were introduced to me by Sumi at the Japanese pastry shop in NYC), Some fresh made pork pastries in the street market, a hole in the wall Sushi spot, and oolong tea at " the coffee house". I cleansed my mind and spirit with some incense at a temple in the Ueno park ad. Had a nice stroll. I know I only got a nibble of Japan during my 20 hours in the country- but I sure had an adventure. And this is only the beginning of my trip.


Arigato.


my way to speak Japanese



The incense I used to cleanse



Hanging out in Ueno Park

No comments: