Tuesday 9 February 2010

Phases of Life.


Yesterday a dear friend, colleague and role model passed away. She embodied the idea of a free spirit, the definition of whole, nurturing and persistent. Even after she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer she was 110%, or at least she appeared that way and not much less. She had more strength than a lot of people I know.

I had the distinct pleasure and honor of working with Marty Fujita in organizing a fundraiser event for the thing which she was absolutely passionate about: locally grown food, the environment and child nutrition. She invited me into the family that she created at Food for Thought Ojai and allowed me to shine in the production of Locally Grown 3.

It was during this planning process for LG3 that Marty was diagnosed and initiated her frequent trips to the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. Trip after trip she would share with us her experience and who she had accompany her to the clinic on each occassion, sometimes her husband, sometimes her daughters sometimes one of her many friends or loved ones and each time was a promising story of betterment and success in battling cancer.

I remember mentioning that I would be traveling to Peru over the holidays, at the same time that she was planning her trip with her daughters in Indonesia. Sadly I would no be able to house sit for her then. Upon return from our trips we continually made arrangements for me to visit and have a feast with local fare, but as was often the case, I had to work.

I was saddened to not have had the opportunity to have a relaxing moment with Marty another time once I found that she had passed. Every thought that crossed my mind was "if only this" and "what if that". After the series of thoughts boiled down to the basics, I came to the realization that Marty was a grand woman. She was a grand dame. Her spirit. Her presence. Her smile. Her passion. It was felt.

Although not with us physically, everything that Marty was in touch with will continue to be defined by her. Her positive energy continues to shine through the colors that she has laid out as her footprint on earth and that will never fade.

To a beautiful woman, a positive role model, a good spirit and an ever lasting impression.

1 comment:

paula said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. She sounds like an amazing woman.