Sunday 29 April 2012

On Mexican Priviledge

In a recent conversation, this idea of being privileged as a Mexican-American was brought up. This concept was news to me. In short it is the same rhetoric as White privilege or Male privilege, but solely within your "own kind". The idea goes something like this: As a child of Mexican decent, and/or of immigrant parents, there is the idea that since some immigrants have worked their way up in the socioeconomic totem pole, those individuals have had the fortune to lead more "comfortable" lives compared to some others with similar roots. I think it goes without saying that if you work hard, your work will pay off. The same exists in any race or culture throughout the U.S.A, and abroad. This idea of "your family is better off than mine and you enjoyed comforts that I did not, henceforth I am more marginalized than you are, so I win" is a little off beat. At least to me.

I can see how this conversation might feel or sound okay, but without a doubt -even within like sub-cultures- there are going to be the haves and the have nots. Some people born in to it, some people work their way to it, and others.. win the lottery... My parents, born in small agricultural towns in rural Jalisco, Mexico, immigrated to the U.S.A in their early teens, came to work in the service and agricultural sector, mainly because they needed to send back cold hard cash for their siblings upbringing in Mexico. They have been home owners since the late-70's and were small business owners for over years. This was all due to their one goal in mind: Gotta make some money to support family. That was me. Times throughout my life we had a cleaning lady, we had catered parties, we had cars when we were able to drive... but it wasn't without sacrifice. Every bit of earnings my parents had was so that their children were put in a better place than they were and not have to work as hard to make it later in life. Higher education was a given for me. Both of my sisters chose alternate paths to higher ed as life happened. I was brought up with the mind-set to be independent and be a dreamer. I still am. I got 2 B.A.s and an M.A. I have traveled many places around the world. I have many many friends. This has all made me all that more humble and grounded. I'm not one to flaunt, rather share my experiences and hope that others can grow with me. All this coming back to me being a child of two Mexican immigrant parents. I have the stories of my immediate and extended family to give me a solid base to know where my roots are. Their personal stories I have used as motivation to keep my flight path going (although many times its aimless). I am frequently told by my parents, aunts and uncles and late-grandparents, that they are proud of my accomplishments. I have reason to believe that it's not just me they are proud of, but it is also them recognizing that their hard work has paid off. I am lucky to be in the place that I am. I acknowledge that and I hope to pay it forward with others that cross my path as my life goes on. After all I am a piscean.

I encourage others that may have thought anything along the lines of "your family is better off than mine and you enjoyed comforts that I did not, henceforth I am more marginalized than you are, so I win

I invite discussion on this topic

No comments: